color management spec

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Jun 1 16:17:08 PDT 2008

On Saturday 31 May 2008 12:32:14 pm Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 30.05.08, 11:27 -0400 schrieb Alex Deucher:
> > I think you may want to start with a basic app to load ICC profiles
> > and properly set the LUTs per crtc using xrandr, then move onto the
> > per-window stuff.  That may be part of your plan already.
>
> What is the most easy way to get XRandr up with two monitors?
> My current card is a nvidia6200, but I'd be willing to change that. The
> propriarity driver is no option. Compiling nv + xorg(?) myself seems hard
> eigther.

The nv driver only supports XRandR 1.2 using NV5x GPUs (8xxx and 9xxx series
cards).  The blob does not support XRandR 1.2 at all.  Nouveau does support
XRandR 1.2 and support for NV4x GPUs (6xxx and 7xxx series cards) is supposed
to be fairly good.  So Nouveau is an option for you but it will likely take a
significant amount of effort to get it running.

As far as I know the Intel GPUs are not available in an add in card so that
would require a new motherboard & perhaps CPU.  But this would likely give you
the most mature XRandR 1.2 drivers.

I don't know about the drivers for the ATI/AMD hardware.  Perhaps someone else
could comment.