evdev steals the keyboard

Johannes Engel jcnengel at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 12 01:40:17 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I just pulled a fresh Xorg from git and compiled everything.
But now I have the problem, that evdev seems to "steal" my keyboard in
the following sense: the kernel detects the keyboard as an event device
and therefore registers /dev/event/input0 for it. After scanning my
original keyboard configuration in xorg.conf evdev detects
/dev/event/input0 as a keyboard and initializes it with some default
values which is bad, because it ignores my model, language, layout etc.
settings.
Is that behaviour intended? How can I change that?

Best regards, Johannes