Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Jun 12 07:13:18 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 16:48 -0700, Rob Currey wrote:
> >We also need to start planning what we want in 7.5.
>
> Hint: try building the git on Redhat 5, Solaris10, HPUX 11.11+ ... (and god
> forbid AIX 5.3)
> Couldn't xnest be a baseline xserver target for these "non-linux" platforms
> ??? (this *is* X.org and not Xfree86 correct?)
> <Adam Jackson ... from a RH5 virgin system, what rpm list is necessary?
> (hint: python 2.5?)>

If you mean Red Hat Linux 5 (ie, Hurricane/Manhattan/Apollo), go away.

If you mean Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (Tikanga)... well.  Since I have
no plans to backport anything newer than 7.1 to RHEL5, ever, it's not
really in the list of things I test.  That said, there's nothing in the
current module set that requires a toolchain newer than what's in RHEL5.
It certainly _should_ work.  I'll give it a test build in kvm and see
what breaks though.

> One last thing, it's probably time to cut loose much of the "cruft"
> 1) app/* has bits than can be cut loose to fend for themselves (e.g. xeyes,
> xlogo, ...) ... let sourceforge or redhat or someone pick up the pieces (or
> else they simply die) ... IOW, not X.org's problem anymore!

Speaking as Red Hat... no, not going to be picking any of that crap up
ever.

You'll note, though, that most of the cruft modules haven't been
touched.  They're not going to be in the module list for 7.4.  They're
dead.

> 3) if a parts are dead, cut 'em off (e.g. mfb/cfb, XTrap, LBX, XPrint?, etc)

Where have you been?  I deleted LBX back in 7.2.  Xprint is off in its
own server tree now to rot in peace.  cfb is dead in master.

- ajax