Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

Rob Currey robc at graphon.com
Thu Jun 12 08:00:18 PDT 2008

From: "Adam Jackson" <ajax at nwnk.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:13 AM
Subject: Re: Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 16:48 -0700, Rob Currey wrote:
>> >We also need to start planning what we want in 7.5.
>>
>> Hint: try building the git on Redhat 5, Solaris10, HPUX 11.11+ ... (and
>> god
>> forbid AIX 5.3)
>> Couldn't xnest be a baseline xserver target for these "non-linux"
>> platforms
>> ??? (this *is* X.org and not Xfree86 correct?)
>> <Adam Jackson ... from a RH5 virgin system, what rpm list is necessary?
>> (hint: python 2.5?)>
>
> If you mean Red Hat Linux 5 (ie, Hurricane/Manhattan/Apollo), go away.
>
> If you mean Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (Tikanga)... well.  Since I have
> no plans to backport anything newer than 7.1 to RHEL5, ever, it's not
> really in the list of things I test.  That said, there's nothing in the
> current module set that requires a toolchain newer than what's in RHEL5.
Sry, I did mean Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.

As someone else already noted, the problem is the xcb/proto and xcb/libxcb
have
AM_PATH_PYTHON([2.5])

> It certainly _should_ work.  I'll give it a test build in kvm and see
> what breaks though.

yea, I was suprised when I saw that it required python >=2.5 and I couldn't
find an rpm ...
(Yes, I could have built python, or perhaps tried a FC rpm, but moved on to
other pressing matters).

>> 3) if a parts are dead, cut 'em off (e.g. mfb/cfb, XTrap, LBX, XPrint?,
>> etc)
>
> Where have you been?  I deleted LBX back in 7.2.  Xprint is off in its
> own server tree now to rot in peace.  cfb is dead in master.

I'd been away for a while after I got a bad taste with trying to build 7.1
onSol8+, AIX5.1+, HPUX 11.00 where the pre-reqs and tools required
building/porting as well as getting xorg itself to build.

I just recently picked up the git head and saw some modules that lead me to
believe this stuff still remained (e.g. libXprintUtil, liblbxutil).

It does sound like legacy is being trimmed out which IMO is very nice to
see.