Wiki like documentation Was: Re: Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

Mohan Parthasarathy suruti94 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 15:30:44 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 12:19 -0700, Mohan Parthasarathy wrote:
>
> > Perhaps, i am asking for too much. But some of the things that can
> > improve the current situation.
> > This is from a newbie perspective. So, please feel free to discard
> > it :-)
> >
> > - An up to date X architecture document that can be maintained on an
> > ongoing basis
>
> Amazingly, ddx.ps.gz in the existing docs package is a really good start
> at this.  No one seems to read it.  Why not?

I agree that it is a very good document to start.But this is just only a
small part.
Does not talk about a lot of new features that have been added. Perhaps it
is
in a different document. Why are docs packaged separately ? Why can't this
be maintained online ? Wouldn't that make it much easier ?

> > - Some description of the source tree as to how the code is organised.
> > I understand that this is a huge task. But there is so much code that
> > sometimes it is hard to locate the functionality.
>
> In master, according to sloccount, the X server is well under half a
> million lines.  Is this big?  How small do we need to make it?

It may not be big once you are familiar with it i.e if you know where to
look, then
it is all easy. For example, i wanted to understand all the AIGLX related
changes.
I did find some documents through Google Search but when i got down with the
code it was not easy. You can always blame it on me :-)

-mohan