Dual Head using Intel driver

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 17 09:07:42 PDT 2008

O/H Alan Hourihane έγραψε:
> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 18:32 +0530, Rudradev AC wrote:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> Thank you for your support so far.
>>
>> Please correct my driver section understanding present in xorg.conf
>> mentioned below. We are using xorg-x11-drv-i810-1.6.5-9.2.
>>
>> 1)	The intel driver will be used instead of i810 if we change the
>> Driver field in Device section as intel as listed below.
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>
>> 	Driver      "i810"
>>
>> EndSection
>>
>> Will be changed as below
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>
>> 	Driver      "intel"
>>
>> EndSection
>>
>> 2) Does the intel driver support extended desktop (dual head) and
>> independent desktop mode. If so, please let me know in which sections of
>> xorg.conf I have to change.
>>
>> With your help we achieved independent desktop, clone and extended
>> desktop using i810 driver.
>> But using Intel driver I am unable to achieve independent desktop and
>> extended desktop mode.
>>

> As mentioned previously, independent desktop does not work with the
> "intel" driver.  But for extended desktop you can use the xrandr tool.

The only thing I did in xorg.conf was to set the max virtual size, as in

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
    SubSection    "Display"
        Virtual 2048 2048
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Other than that, the rest can be done with xrandr.

There is a gotcha however. If the total size of the virtual desktop
does not fit in 2048x2048, then you cannot have 3D Desktop (Compiz).
Therefore, if your dual head configuration is 1280x800 and 1024x768,
then you can get them fit in 2048x2048 if you place them virtually one
on top of the other (with xrandr).
I think the 2048x2048 max virtual in dualhead for compiz is a driver
restriction.

Simos