xserver: Branch 'server-1.5-branch'

Eamon Walsh ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov
Tue Jun 17 14:29:41 PDT 2008

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 13:47 -0700, Eamon Walsh wrote:
>

>> commit 255202666411e15ebe2f9cde35b48a333dc9e38c
>> Author: Eamon Walsh <ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov>
>> Date:   Fri Jun 13 16:39:40 2008 -0400
>>
>>     Make devPrivates lookup functions ABI instead of static inlines.
>>
>>     This is required to preserve compatibility across changes to the
>>     internal representation of the privates list.
>>     (cherry picked from commit 2d7ba09dc4b5eff5dba8d7867f285111574b1737)
>>

> While this is true, I'm not totally convinced I want it in 1.5.  Drivers
> built against 1.5 gold with this change will not work against 1.5RCs,
> which is a bit unpleasant.  Either we need to back this out, or bump all
> the module ABI minor numbers.
>
> I'm open to suggestion here.  What sounds better to people?
>
> - ajax

My decision obviously was that it would be better to cause the RC
breakage than force another ABI break between 1.5 and 1.6.  If such a
break is planned anyway by some other 1.6-targeted effort then backing
it out is probably fine.

Maybe the driver developers could weigh in on this, since their request
for a new, constant-time devPrivates lookup is the motivation here.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov>
National Security Agency