xorg build problems: dtrace script

Wed Jun 18 13:02:03 PDT 2008

Chuck Robey wrote:
> I've never seen this type of thing before.  Is it a precompiler of some sort?
> It's getting an error, looks like it's tripping over a common FreeBSD type, a
> uid_t.  I know how I'd handle this with a C file, I'd find out where it was
> defined, see if it was already included but had define masking problems, or if
> it just plain wasn't included before, and then add an include for it, but I
> don't know what the heck this thing is ... code is /usr/lib??  that's wacky ...
>
> Anyhow, here's the last part of the error listing (from xserver,dix).  If you
> don't recognize the error, but know something about the .d files, you could tell
> me, then I could pester the FreeBSD folks about it:
>
> ranlib .libs/libdix.a
> creating libdix.la
> (cd .libs && rm -f libdix.la && ln -s ../libdix.la libdix.la)
> /usr/sbin/dtrace -G -C -o dtrace-dix.o -s ../dix/Xserver.d .libs/*.o
> dtrace: failed to compile script ../dix/Xserver.d: "/usr/lib/dtrace/psinfo.d",
> line 37: syntax error near "uid_t"

In that step, the dtrace program is using the information in the Xserver.d text
file to post-process the binaries to insert the dtrace probe points.    I don't
know if anyone has tried building on FreeBSD with the dtrace probes since those
were just integrated to the FreeBSD kernel, and would have to check with the
guys who did the dtrace port to FreeBSD to see if there's anything different we
need to do there.   (I know MacOS X needs changes to the dtrace routines, but
I've never gotten to a Leopard machine to fix them, and the Apple guys working
on X have had a lot of higher priority things to fix first.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com