Not to thread the X server [was: to thread the X server]

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 15:12:27 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> One of the old XJournals had a long technical article on this, and ISTR
> the conclusion was that the results didn't merit the investment, unless
> you were trying to build an air traffic control console for Forward Air
> Controllers in combat zones -- which, as I recall, was what they were
> trying to do.

I think that's one side of the argument though.  The super high end
systems of today are the wrist watches of tomorrow.  If we don't move
the technology forward (which I think is what some are saying is why
we need to move to threading) we will be doing little more than
building a server for those watches while something that chose to
"grow with the times" will be powering tomorrows super high end
systems.

At least that's my impression from over here with the rest of the
sheep hoping something good comes out of this discussion :D

-Chad