Window manager, how to write ?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jun 20 08:37:10 PDT 2008

On Friday 20 of June 2008, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:09 AM, Alexei Babich <a.babich at rez.ru> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Is anybody can tell me, where I can read about writing my own window
> > manager ? WM basics, etc...
>
> I would suggest reading the source code to another window manager:
> twm, metacity, fvwm, etc.

 Those are probably too complex for this purpose. I'd suggest one/several of
the simplistic ones like ratpoison or evilwm as starting points. Also, the
ICCCM and EWMH docs are a must-read (and, indeed, the Xlib docs).

 That said, you probably don't really want to start writing your own window
manager from scratch unless you have really specific needs, are really bored
or are really insane.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz