Mesa, DRI framework questions..

Mohan Parthasarathy suruti94 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 09:44:50 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:11 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at tungstengraphics.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 11:44 -0700, Mohan Parthasarathy wrote:
> >
> > 1) Mesa/src/glx/x11 is the same as in X-server branch under GL/glx. I
> > am assuming that
> >  the code in X-server is what should be used. Right ?
>
> Should be used for what? The former handles the client side aspects of
> GLX while the latter handles the server side aspects.

In a brief look, i thought that there were quite (or some?) a bit of common
code.
I will take another look.

> > 2) Mesa/src/mesa is similar to X-server branch under GL/mesa. X-server
> > just refers to the
> >     code in Mesa. Don't we just need the software rendering code in
> > X-server ?
> >     Why is glapi included on the Xserver side ? Also, why are we
> > making libX.la ?
>
> This has been overhauled in the current Git master branches, now the X
> server just loads swrast_dri.so built in the Mesa tree and no longer has
> a build time dependency on Mesa source code.

Okay. Yesterday, i updated. I still see the same stuff.  I am assuming
that it will be available in the future.

> > 3) Mesa/src/drivers/dri/<driver-name>/server/ What does the 3D driver
> > supposed to
> >     provide under server directory ? Is there a document describing
> > this ?
>
> It's only needed for mini-GLX. If you don't know what that is, you
> probably don't need it. :)

Sure. mini-GLX is enough for google to give me  a good description :-)
I am just reading code and taking some notes. It is good to know that
i don't have to understand this part for now :-)

> > 4) xf86driproto/xf86dri.h : has several functions like
> > XF86DRIQueryExtension etc. which
> > sends X requests and are handled in hw/xfree86/dri/xf86dri.c, dri.c.
> > What i can't
> > find is where these functions (declared in xf86dri.h) are defined.
>
> mesa/src/glx/x11/XF86dri.c, but again, current xf86driproto/xf86dri.h no
> longer has these prototypes.

Yes, i can see that now.

> > 5) 2D Driver calls DRIQueryVersion. Where is this defined ?
>
> xserver/hw/xfree86/dri/dri.c

Ok.

thanks
mohan