Why is XRenderAddTraps preferred over XRenderCompositeTrapezoids?

Jesse Ruffin jesse at eloquentpeasant.net
Fri Jun 20 13:56:29 PDT 2008

On Friday 20 June 2008 04:25:22 Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> 3.) Is one call to XRenderFillRectangles with 100 rects much faster
> than 100 calls to XRenderFillRectangle?
> Is it just protocol related, or is there also a difference how those
> rects are processed by the driver/gpu?

Although I don't know anything about how this is handled on the backend, I would normally recommend going with the calls that have more chance of being optimized in the future.

100 calls to a function would take speculation on the server's part to recognize a batch for optimization.

1 call with 100 shapes can be recognized immediately as a batch run and stands a better chance of being optimized in the future.

Jesse Ruffin