Resolution indpendence

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Jun 27 07:22:44 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 15:16 +0100, Barry Scott wrote:

> > I want a high resolution monitor to get more screen real estate, not
> > to get better edge smoothing.

Then change your font size to be smaller!

> > When we start approaching 300dpi
> > graphics pipelines, I will probably change my mind, but that's still
> > pretty far off it seems.

Actually we're there.  OLPC and Nokia Internet Tablets are 200dpi.
OpenMoko phones are 280dpi!

> Apple took a 200dpi laptop off the market because of lack of resolution
> independance
> in the software. I'm not sure its that far off *if* the software can
> handle it.
>
> Using DPI is the wrong thing to do for large format 40" etc screens as
> 30pt is
> unreadable a the sort of viewing distance that a 40" screen is viewed at. We
> force 75dpi for this reason at the moment.

Right.  What we really want is dots-per-angle.  You can either invent
that and go change all software, or, we can simply define dpi as
dots-per-inch-at-arms-distance.  Then a 200dpi screen at 2 meters
distance is more or less 70dpi at arms distance.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759