[RFC] Randr 1.3 feature - get property

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 11:44:13 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 17:19 -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> Right now, the Randr core code will just return the current (cached) property
> value when a get property request comes in.  This is fine in many cases, but
> fails in others, for example when fetching backlight brightness after some
> other agent has changed its value.
>
> This patch adds the core server code to call back to a driver's get_property
> routine, which should update the property, which the Randr core will then
> return.
>
> I haven't implemented the i830_lvds.c portion of this, but it should be
> trivial.
>
> Any thoughts?  Am I on the right track here?

Please.  Put a major version number at the start of the output function
pointer rec, and append new functions at the end.  Give the server
_some_ chance to be ABI compatible.

> There are still several 1.3 features I haven't seen patches for yet:
>   - dpms events (notify clients of dpms changes)
>   - per-output dpms controls
>   - panning rectangle
>   - client hotplug notification (or is that already possible?)

Hotplug notification is already possible.  RROutputChangeNotifyEvent.
No driver has it hooked up though, and it might not even be hooked up in
the core.

- ajax