Transfer display of active windows remotely

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Oct 11 19:19:22 PDT 2008

David Greaves wrote:

> > - Consider display :0 on machine 1 (m1) and display :0 on machine 2 (m2).
>
> Agreed, it's about time X supported changing the DISPLAY out from under an
> application. a "follow-me" type feature.

This is something which would be far easier to achieve at the toolkit
level.

There are too many problems with doing it at the X protocol level.
There's no guarantee that the new X server will support the visual
you're using, or all of the extensions. Even if they're that similar,
the XIDs which are known to the client may be in use on the new
server, Atoms will have different numbers, etc.