how to set permissions for untrusted clients?

Lasse Kliemann lasse-list-xorg-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Mon Oct 20 10:06:06 PDT 2008

As per changelog entries for xserver, the old 'SecurityPolicy'
system is no more, and in fact the '-sp' switch is gone. Behavior
of untrusted clients is different in 7.4 compared to how it used
to be in 7.1 (with 'SecurityPolicy' still in place). Most
notably, trusted clients can paste text into untrusted clients
(or untrusted clients are allowed to read the cut buffer - don't
know which of the two perspectives is closer to the truth), and
untrusted clients otherwise seem to have much fewer privileges
than before. For instance, an untrusted xterm isn't even allowed
to ring the bell (when doing auto-completion, for instance); it
will be terminated upon trying so. It will also be terminated if
the user selects some text in it. This makes untrusted xterms
essentially useless, and I suspect many more problems along these
lines.

There must be some way to configure these things, but I could not
find it. Maybe someone can give me a hint.

Thank you!

Lasse