Intel driver + sgi 1600 sw

Cyril Richard aka [ Sx ] cyril.richard at
Thu Oct 30 09:11:17 PDT 2008

I reply to myself, just to tell you that i found a quick hack to my problem :

The idea is to force the driver to start xorg by returning
XF86OutputStatusConnected instead of XF86OutputStatusDisconnected in
the function which probe for a monitor. I've stolen the idea here

So it works pretty well for me, but i guess it break all the xrandr stuff....

Is there a better way to solve this issue ?

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Cyril Richard aka [ Sx ]
<cyril.richard at> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> First of all thanks for your great work ;)
> So my problem is i have an sgi1600sw monitor (which is great ... look
> here for more details ).
> It is plugged my g35 intel graphic card through to a gfx1600sw pci
> adapter card. This monitor use a quite special resolution which is
> 1600x1024.
> The problem is xorg can't  start because the screen is not detected ...
> egrep "\((WW|EE)\)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log gives me :
>        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
> (WW) intel: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
> (EE) intel(0): Output TMDS-1 enabled but has no modes
> (EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration
> But when i start xorg with another monitor plugged, xorg starts, i
> don't see anything because this other monitor can't display 1600x1024,
> but if then i plug my SGI monitor, my sgi monitor is working great :)
> When my sgi monitor is plugged here is what xrandr gives me :
> VGA disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> TMDS-1 disconnected 1600x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 473mm x 296mm
>  1600x1024 (0x4d)  106.9MHz
>        h: width  1600 start 1620 end 1640 total 1670 skew    0 clock   64.0KHz
>        v: height 1024 start 1027 end 1030 total 1067           clock   60.0Hz
> So Is there an xorg option or anything which can force xorg to start
> even if it doesn't detect a monitor ?
> The "Enable" Option in the monitor section appears to have no effect ...
> --
> Cyril Richard
> mail : cyril.richard at
> www :