Notify all users

Chuck Robey chuckr at
Tue Sep 9 08:43:30 PDT 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Gene Heskett schrieb:
>> On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Yan Seiner wrote:
>>> How do I go about notifying all users?  I am looking for an equivalent
>>> of 'wall' for X.  xmessage doesn't really work very well as I'd have to mess
>>> with xhost in each user's profile.
>>> I've looked at libnotify, but it runs into dbus security issues.
>>> So how does a sysadmin notify all users of an impending system event (like a
>>> shutdown)?
>> What is wrong with just using wall?
> Does "wall" display anything for users running X? No.

Depends if they're running terminals on X ... every terminal, X or not (like
KDE's konsole) will echo whatever you send via wall.

I don't know what non-programmers susally do, do they usually need (as a
minimum) a login terminal, or not?  I would imagine they do, but I am just not
certain about that.

Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (FreeBSD)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -