Radeon X700 Mobility: [mi] EQ overflowing ... server lockup

Daniel dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Sat Sep 20 23:15:09 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 15:26 +1000, Daniel wrote:

> Hi all. I've been on the 'bleeding edge' ( git ) of mesa, xserver,
> xf86-video-ati & friends for the past year or so ( on Gentoo ). I've got
> a Turion ( AMD64 ) processor ( running in 64-bit mode ), and a Radeon
> X700 Mobility.

<previous stuff snipped>

I've figured out how to stop Ubuntu from booting into X, and now I've
got some more info.

I can *only* start X with DRI disabled, via the line:

Option "DRI" "0"

If I start with XAA enabled ( and DRI enabled ), I get a quite corrupted
display, and a hard lockup. It looks like this:
http://entropy.homelinux.org/gdm_xaa.jpg

If I start with EXA enabled ( and DRI enabled ), I get a black screen, a
crosshair mouse, and a hard lockup. There wasn't much point taking a
picture of this screen ...

In both cases, I can move the mouse, but *very* slowly.

Logs:
http://entropy.homelinux.org/Xorg_exa.0.log
http://entropy.homelinux.org/Xorg_xaa.0.log

Keep in mind that I can't guarantee that either of these logs as
complete, as the magic system keys ( eg Alt + SysRq + S / U / B )
weren't working, and I hard to cut the power each time.

With DRI disabled, I can start with EXA or XAA and everything seems to
work fine.

The only thing that looks suspicious in the logs ( other than the 'EQ
overlowing' bit ) is this:

(II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: always reports core events
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Device: "/dev/input/event0"
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found x and y relative axes
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found 3 mouse buttons
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Configuring as mouse
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Macintosh mouse button
emulation" (type: MOUSE)
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200

I haven't seen this before, and don't have a macintosh mouse. I have a
touchpad on my laptop, with 5 buttons. But this shouldn't cause a lockup
with DRI enabled, should it?

Dan