Documentation?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Apr 8 14:41:22 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 08 April 2009, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> You want a bug report?  Let us file the bug without half an hour filling
>> out forms and such to register for yet another service that may generate
>> even more spam. Screw it.
>
>Registering for a bugzilla account doesn't take any longer than subscribing
>to this mailing list to be able to post a message complaining about
> bugzilla. All you need for either one is an e-mail address and to pick a
> password and deal with the confirmation e-mail.
>
>It would be nice if bugzilla supported OpenID to reduce that even further,
>but I'm sure bugzilla upstream will be happy to discuss such patches with
>anyone who wants to write them, and freedesktop.org always needs more admins
>to keep up with the load of site work to do.

I have a bugzilla account, and everytime I need to use it, I have to have them
send me my password because I don't use it often enough.  But the send me my
password never sends you your password, it always sends you a message to allow
you to change it, another batch of folderol to have to negotiate involving at
least 2 or 3 more emails that have to be confirmed.  I have NDI why they just
can't send the pw to my recorded email addy and leave it otherwise alone.
Either way, by the time I regain access too bz, the instance of the bug itself
and its details are getting ever more hazy, scrolled off the end of a shells
history & lost. TBT, unless its a show stopper, by the time I wade through all
that, my give a damn is worn out and you don't get the feedback.  It really is
that simple.  To those of us, who as plain old users, would like to report a
problem, you make it difficult indeed.

Then to top it off, when we bring news of a problem and its one of those take
it on down the hall problems, we are told to file a bz & don't bother the
list.  Bugs reported here, should have some sort of a mechanism to
automatically get added to bz.  People do write email filters don't they?

Oh, and one message I've received loud and clear from this list.  And that is
if ones video card costs less than $150, it will NEVER be supported to the
capabilities of the card regardless of how many code drops ATI makes and so we
are forever stuck with a radeonhd driver that is only semi-stable (crashed
this morning early again), and no faster, if as fast as the nv driver on an
old nvidia card.  Promises of a fully working driver for the ATI HD2400-Pro
card family have been repeatedly promised as maybe a month away yet, for over
half of a year now.  But I'm still watching my screen scroll 2 lines at a
time, with a redraw time per 2 lines scrolled of nearly a second.  And every
new driver that leaks into the kernel is 100 fps slower at glxgears than the
previous one.  I started early last fall doing 850 fps, now with
kernel-2.6.29.1 its about 275 fps.  ATI probably sold 100 cards with the r610
chipset for every one of the $300+ bridgeable ones, but its a cheap card,
about a 50 dollar bill so we take a cold potato and wait.

I tried to build the git checkout, but gave up when no one here could tell me
what to add to get rid of a dependency list about 10k long when trying to get
it to make on an F10 system.  At that time, 6 weeks or so back, I gave up cuz
all I was doing was obviously annoying the list.

So until something pulls my trigger again, I will go and quietly read the list
for a while.  But I haven't seen my chipset mentioned in weeks, so I may be
wasting my time.  I hope not.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)