Documentation?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Thu Apr 9 16:20:55 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 13:49 -0700, McDonald, Michael-p7438c wrote:

>   I wasn't refering to backing store or save unders or any other feature
> specificly. I was refering to MY impression of what I perceive as the
> philosophy of the "new" set of developers.

I don't have the same impression, at least as Linux/free software/open
source software has matured over the last number of years.  I guess I
had somewhat similar concerns a decade ago.

I do think that some of the development tools (and very fast machines)
are making it harder to test for compatibility breakage than they
should: for example, jhbuild, commonly used to build Gnome, is *too*
aggressive about rebuilding software even when not necessary, that tends
to hide unintended breakage, since often everything is rebuilt rather
than relying on older versions of libraries.

In the X case, we have deliberately (after lots of warning and analysis)
ditched a lot of old extensions that no one was using (or was willing to
maintain).
                         - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org>