MPX features on xorg-server 1.6.0?

Florian Echtler floe at
Wed Apr 15 01:58:59 PDT 2009

Hello again,

I have another question which may or may not be related to my previous
one. As building the Xserver from Git HEAD failed, I'm currently running
Xserver 1.6.0 and would like to use the MPX features. libXi and
inputproto have been built from Git HEAD this morning, and the Xserver
itself has been rebuilt with these libraries. xinput reports version
1.4.1 and offers the MPX-related commands like create-master, float etc.

However, when I run, e.g., "xinput --create-master foobar", I just get a
return value of 1 and nothing happens. This return value seems to have
been passed directly from XChangeDeviceHierarchy .. but xdpyinfo
correctly reports XInputExtension. The xorg.conf is mostly empty, and
HAL correctly handles my devices. What am I missing here?

Yours, Florian
0666 - Filemode of the Beast