AllowEmptyInput and HAL

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Apr 29 13:18:59 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 19:32 +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> > AllowEmptyInput does not mean that your keyboard and mouse configuration
> > is being ignored; conversely, it means that it's not a fatal error to
> > have no keyboard and mouse configuration whatsoever.  So if AEI changes
> > anything, you don't have a keyboard and mouse configured.
>
> Here is what it reported in the log:

Hi Phil,

I don't know if it's exactly the same as your situation, but I recently
had a situation with X on Debian acting up and resulting in mismapped
keys.

The log file in that case showed that the "mouse" driver was getting
loaded. But clearly something was misinterpreting events. Perhaps
something was expecting events as they would come from evdev instead? I
don't know.

The fix for my situation was to ensure that the "evdev" module was
loaded instead of the "mouse" module.

I could have made that happen by editing xorg.conf, but I'm told that
that's passé now. Instead I copied the attached x11-input.fdi file,
(which I got from a friend), to /etc/hal/fdi/policy. After doing this,
hal loaded the "evdev" module for me and everything became happy. This
didn't quite feel to me like the happy no-configuration-required-for-X
paradise I had been promised, but there you have it. :-)

I've been led to understand that this is due to a bug in the Debian
packaging of hal. But I don't really know if the blame lies with
upstream HAL, with Debian packaging, or even something else in the X
server that made things not work.

All I know is that this is what fixed things for me. So I thought I
would pass it on in case it helps you as well.

-Carl