Detecting the used keyboard driver

Marvin Raaijmakers marvin.nospam at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 11:09:01 PDT 2009

Well a scancode is for the kernel like what a X keycode is to the X
server, and a kernel keycode is for the kernel what a key symbol is to
the X server. So when you change the kernel keycode of a key, then the
X server will receive another kernel keycode from the kernel and as a
result the key will have another X keycode. So an X keycode is not
fixed for a specific key. Furthermore some keys will not have a kernel
keycode by default and such keys won't work under X (because the X
server doesn't receive anything about these keys from the kernel).
Believe me I've thought about this ;)

- Marvin