DESTDIR and pkg-config variables

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at
Mon Jan 12 10:21:12 PST 2009

Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:50:46 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> I think the right way to do this is 1) Keep taking the default from
>> pkg-config and 2) Pass in a value during distcheck with
>> DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS. That'd look something like this:
>> AC_ARG_WITH([appdefaultdir],
>>     [AC_HELP_STRING([--with-appdefaultdir=DIR],
>>         [Xt app-defaults directory (default: from pkg-config)])],
>>     [appdefaultdir="$withval"],
>>     [appdefaultdir=`$PKG_CONFIG --variable=appdefaultdir xt`])
>> --with-appdefaultdir='$${datadir}/X11/app-defaults'
>> I just tested that on xfontsel and it works.
> IIRC I did exactly that in xdm.

  Thanks. For simplicity, I feel tempted to remove:

appdefaultdir=$(pkg-config --variable=appdefaultdir xt)

from, and "hardcode" to:

appdefaultdir = $(datadir)/X11/app-defaults

  This mainly, because in my computer I have "app-defaults"
directories in:

  But probably better to have it easy to specify in
configure arguments, and "respect" the value configured
in libXt.