Fedora 10: Trouble installing libdrm (2.4.4) for latest Intel driver (2.6)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 09:00:51 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Joe Smith <stopads at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for the info.  While I was waiting, I tried installing the latest libdrm rpm from RPM Fusion or Rawhide, not sure which.  It was tagged 2.4.3 fc11, but I have fc10.  I assumed (ha ha) this was ok because the package manager let me do it.  I know, a slippery slope.  Anyway, X didn't start after that, and I couldn't easily get it back.  So I'm reinstalling now.
>
> So the question is, can I install rpms tagged for fc11 on fc10?  If so, then perhaps X crashed because I had partially installed libdrm 2.4.4 from source, and a conflict developed...?

rawhide rpms usually work in stable fedoras. However, getting the
graphics right is more that one package. For the whole stack, you'd
need (I think):

kernel (for newer drm modules/GEM)
xorg-x11-server
libdrm
mesa-libGL (will pull in dri drivers)
xorg-x11-drv-i810

As for a specific conflict with libdrm from source, you have
/lib/libdrm.so* if you followed the intel instructions. That's not
where fedora installs them. You might want to clean up what you can
and then "yum reinstall libdrm libdrm-devel". You can probably run
"make uninstall" from your libdrm source directory to clean up.

--
Dan