Recent input changes

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Wed Jan 28 20:23:31 PST 2009

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Jeff Chua wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Joel Feiner <jafeiner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> xf86-input-keyboard also doesn't build with similar errors:
>>
>> Any fix for this? I've tried the latest xserver. Compile fine. But
>> xf86-input-keyboard still failed to compiled. Have tried with
>> --disable-xnest, but still failed.
>
> You might try applying
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~daniels/kbd-pass-the-absinthe.diff
> but that's probably no more tested than the other recent XKB changes.

  I just made a somewhat simpler version, that from some basic
tests only misses autorepeat, but I did not follow the code to
see how to actually set the repeat and intervals.
  Maybe should be on the KeybdCtrl defaultKeyboardControl, as I
don't know if there is an api for calling it..., but would look
ugly to set that global variable, so, left as an exercise to
whoever wants to finish the patch; I am using evdev...

  Hint on how I did test the patch, and some intermediate versions
that would fail to load due to unresolved symbols; add to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf something like:
-%<-
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "kbd"
   Option "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
-%<-

and to Section "ServerLayout":
-%<-
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
-%<-

and to Section "ServerFlags":
-%<-
    Option "AutoEnableDevices" "True"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
-%<-

  Then, run something like:
% startx & sleep 15; killall X

If you have a ssh access, it will be easier...
Then, you may also need to run from a xterm something like:
% setxkbmap -rules xorg us_intl

Paulo