status with the latest git xserver

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Sun Jul 19 11:35:09 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:07:17AM -0700, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> This is a status from over here:
>
> macbook pro ati chipset works perfectly
> with the latest git xserver, minor issue due to me
> getting a bit confused but nothing out of the ordinary.
>
> As for my other machine the imac nvidia chipset, well
> a bit of an ABI issue:
>
> (II) Loading extension DRI2
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>          compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
>          Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> ================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================
> This server has a video driver ABI version of 6.0 that is not
> supported by this NVIDIA driver.  Please check
> http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X
> server with a supported driver ABI.
> (WW) NVIDIA: The driver will continue to load, but may behave strangely.
> (WW) NVIDIA: This server has an unsupported input driver ABI version
> (have 7.0, need < 5.0).  The driver will continue to load, but may
> behave strangely.
> (II) LoadModule: "kbd"
>
> soulution was(after googling a bit)
>   startx -ignoreABI,

startx has this dumb behavior where it will silently ignore any arguments it
doesn't recognize.  To actually pass that option on to the X server, you have to
do this:

    startx -- -ignoreABI

Yes, that's a space, two dashes, another space, and then another dash.

> but for some reason this didn't do anything.
> I had to use in xorg.conf
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>          Option "IgnoreABI" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Hopefully we don't have to wait to long for nvidia..

Does it work?  We have a policy of trying to support an ABI but not actually
marking it supported without -ignoreABI until after it has been declared frozen
by the X.org release manager.