status with the latest git xserver

Justin P. Mattock justinmattock at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 11:59:44 PDT 2009

Aaron Plattner wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:07:17AM -0700, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>
>> This is a status from over here:
>>
>> macbook pro ati chipset works perfectly
>> with the latest git xserver, minor issue due to me
>> getting a bit confused but nothing out of the ordinary.
>>
>> As for my other machine the imac nvidia chipset, well
>> a bit of an ABI issue:
>>
>> (II) Loading extension DRI2
>> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
>> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
>> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>>           compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
>>           Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>> ================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================
>> This server has a video driver ABI version of 6.0 that is not
>> supported by this NVIDIA driver.  Please check
>> http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X
>> server with a supported driver ABI.
>> (WW) NVIDIA: The driver will continue to load, but may behave strangely.
>> (WW) NVIDIA: This server has an unsupported input driver ABI version
>> (have 7.0, need<  5.0).  The driver will continue to load, but may
>> behave strangely.
>> (II) LoadModule: "kbd"
>>
>> soulution was(after googling a bit)
>>    startx -ignoreABI,
>>

> startx has this dumb behavior where it will silently ignore any arguments it
> doesn't recognize.  To actually pass that option on to the X server, you have to
> do this:
>
>      startx -- -ignoreABI

ahhh.. the two "--" is what I didn't have
(Thanks for the info).
> Yes, that's a space, two dashes, another space, and then another dash.
>

>> but for some reason this didn't do anything.
>> I had to use in xorg.conf
>>
>> Section "ServerFlags"
>>           Option "IgnoreABI" "true"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Hopefully we don't have to wait to long for nvidia..
>>

> Does it work?  We have a policy of trying to support an ABI but not actually
> marking it supported without -ignoreABI until after it has been declared frozen
> by the X.org release manager.
>

>> Anyways nice work with the xserver xorg!!

So far the only issue I see right now is with mplayer
When watching T.V. If I move the window its really slow
i.g. if I grab the window with the cursor, and do a circle with the
window the cursor is faster than the
window, but watching a movie in firefox(hulu) with the popout window option
doing a circle with the window, the window acts as should.
keep in mind this is for the imac with the nvidia  module from there web
site.
(I have not tried the nv xorg module yet).
As for the macbook with the ati module(all kernel built-in modules)
the window through mplayer acts as is.

Justin P. Mattock