Support for 30bit color?

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Mon Jul 20 17:27:02 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 04:53:42PM -0700, Andrew Theurer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to figure out if 30bit color (10R/10G/10B) is possible on X.
> I see a number of video cards claiming support for 30bit color, but I am
> not so sure it's supported in X.  Are there any examples out there of
> users using 30bit color?  Any particular adapters that play nice?  Anyone
> also doing this with HDMI?

The NVIDIA driver supports X screens with depth 30 color on Quadro GPUs.
For display, some GPUs and some DisplayPort monitors support full-precision
depth 30 color.  VGA also works, but involves a lossy digital-to-analog
conversion.  Other display connections (such as DVI and HDMI) will still
work but will be dithered to 24-bit color.

-- Aaron