amd64 no screens

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Thu Jul 23 07:47:52 PDT 2009

Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> PJ wrote:
>>
>> I do now and it still does not work...
>> The xf86-input-keyboard & mouse drivers are installed; so is
>> xf86-video-fbdev (was not being loaded)
>> The screen goes black when testing with X & xorg.conf.new;
>> startx causes screen syncing with streking on screeen.
>> Neither permits me to opt out with ctl-alt-bkspace; have to reboot.
>> Don't understand why keyboard & mouse not loaded... also no directories
>> for fonts... could that be the problem?
>>
>> below is ...snip.. from "startx" log:
>>
>> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jul 23 09:32:10 2009
>> (II) Loader magic: 0x35e0
>> (II) Module ABI versions:
>>     X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
>>     X.Org Video Driver: 5.0
>>     X.Org XInput driver : 4.0
>>     X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
>> (II) Loader running on freebsd
>> (--) Using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
>> (--) using VT number 9
>>
>> (--) PCI:*(0 at 1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE) rev
>> 0, Mem @ 0xc8000000/134217728, 0xc0100000/65536, I/O @ 0x00009000/256,
>> BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
>> (==) Using default built-in configuration (30 lines)
>> (==) --- Start of built-in configuration ---
>>     Section "Device"
>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default ati Device 0"
>>         Driver    "ati"
>>     EndSection
>>     Section "Screen"
>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default ati Screen 0"
>>         Device    "Builtin Default ati Device 0"
>>     EndSection
>>     Section "Device"
>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
>>         Driver    "vesa"
>>     EndSection
>>     Section "Screen"
>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
>>         Device    "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
>>     EndSection
>>     Section "Device"
>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
>>         Driver    "fbdev"
>>     EndSection
>>     Section "Screen"
>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
>>         Device    "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
>>     EndSection
>>     Section "ServerLayout"
>>         Identifier    "Builtin Default Layout"
>>         Screen    "Builtin Default ati Screen 0"
>>         Screen    "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
>>         Screen    "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
>>     EndSection
>> (==) --- End of built-in configuration ---
>> (==) ServerLayout "Builtin Default Layout"
>> (**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default ati Screen 0" (0)
>> (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
>> (**) |   |-->Device "Builtin Default ati Device 0"
>> (==) No monitor specified for screen "Builtin Default ati Screen 0".
>>     Using a default monitor configuration.
>> (**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0" (1)
>> (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
>> (**) |   |-->Device "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
> [...]
The AllowEmptyInput is nowhere to be found within xorg.conf.new.
I Enabled dbus & hald and also tried changing the mouse and keyboard
drivers with absolutely no luck.
The fonts are installed.
I have a usb mouse attached and I even tried running X and startx
without it.
Nothing, nada. Same stuff... black screen with flickering streaks at top.
Oddly, when shutting down from frozen X run, I get the mouse X in center
of screen for about a second or less before shutting down.
I don't understand what the problem is with the mouse and the keyboard
errors... they are not being loaded and I get the impression that the
video sync or the color depth are not right...
something is really rotten in Denmark or is it FreeBSD & xorg ?
Or is there something I am doing wrong?

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php