Radical idea for X-modmap problem.

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Jul 28 10:18:35 PDT 2009

> Being strictly an amateur programmer, I've always wondered how many
> people/institutions actually use X for remote display the way it was
> designed to be used.

Quite a lot.  In universities in crowded city centers, it is quite
common to have students work on (fan-less) X terminals, with a large
server pool hidden somewhere in the basement.  (Nowadays, the servers
are fairly ordinary PCs running Linux, with a few Solaris machines to
make the older system administrators happy.)

A lot of us also prefer ``ssh -X'' to webmail and other workarounds.

> Seems to introduce a great deal of confusing complexity for features
> many of us never use.

OTOH, having a well-defined interface between the display subsystem and
the rest of the system forces us to keep our interfaces clean.

                                        Juliusz