Keyboard modifier mapping problems

Tobias Gerdin tgerdin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 09:53:16 PST 2009

Hello,

I have a Japanese Powerbook G4 I'm creating a custom layout for. I have
created a xkb_symbols entry in the relevant file in
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols (Debian Lenny system) directory and added entries
for some non-modifier keys. It works.

However, to implement the rest of the layout I need to perform the following
remappings involving modifier keys:

Control_L -> [ apostrophe, quotedbl ]

Caps Lock -> "Alt Gr"

Alt_L -> [ less, greater ]

Super_L (this is the left "Command" key) -> Alt/Meta

Hiragana_Katakana -> Control

Eisu_toggle -> Control

KP_Enter (KPEN?) -> Alt/Meta

Thus, I want to remap non-modifier keys to modifier keys, modifier-keys to
non-modifying keys and from one modifier-key to another modifier key.

I have been trying all day getting at least some of these mappings to work
but not much success I am afraid. I first tried the xmodmap route but I am
under the impression that this should be possible using only xkb using
modifier_maps and the like.

Perhaps someone could would care to supply me with a suitable strategy here?

-Tobias