How to build entirety of Xorg 7.4 from source

Florian Lier fl0 at icram.de
Sun Mar 1 12:03:18 PST 2009

hey jd,

No problem....
I guess "the rt2860 wifi mini-pci" driver won't be affected by building
a xserver ^^

"ATI Mobility Radeon 9600"  I guess the latest driver from the git works
fine (but
you better ask here or google first)

"How do you suggest I install 7.4 (once I build it) - I mean
do I first uninstall my existing X (on which so many packages
depend), and then install 7.4?"

You don't need to replace or uninstall your "old" xserver,
as you might have noticed the script builds the server
here: PREFIX="/opt/gfx-test" which means you can
start the sever like that:

   1.

      rmmod i915 /# assuming you're using Intel/

   2.

      rmmod drm

   3.

      insmod /<path_to_drm_tree_above>//linux-core/drm.ko

   4.

      insmod /<path_to_drm_tree_above>//linux-core/i915.ko

   5.

      export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gfx-test/lib

   6.

      startx -- /opt/gfx-test/bin/Xorg -verbose /# make sure you have a
      ~/.xinitrc with what you want to run/

If the server works fine you can set the new xorg stack as your default
x-server. I won't recommend you
setting a "bleeding edge" X as default (btw, it won't startup atm have a
look @ xorg tinderbox).
I don't know that much about Fedora, but I installed FC10 lately from a
live cd which works fine for me...
Do you want to compile it from scratch?

Cheers, Florian