Cairo with glitz backend

Marco mpiazza at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 23:21:21 PST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:

> So currently aside from glitz, there are experiments to show that simply
> doing basic compositing using OpenGL can be much faster than XRender:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~anholt/cairo/log/?h=gl and
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ickle/cairo/log/?h=opengl A slightly more
> ambitious (though it does have quite a few fundamental flaws of its own,
> chiefly among those is that he hasn't asked anyone from the cairo
> community to review it...)
> http://github.com/akyrtzi/cairo-gral/tree/master And my favourite
> (slightly biased since I'm the author ;-) is an example of what you can
> achieve with direct rendering:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ickle/cairo/log/?h=drm which, I claim, is
> just about as fast as you can make cairo on an eee/i915. (I welcome any
> patches to make it, and cairo, even faster :-)

The discussion was intriguing, so i tried your latest cairo with drm
backend (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ickle/cairo/log/?h=drm) because
I have an i915 chipset (GM45).

Recompiled all the stuff with --enable-drm --enable-xlib-xrender
--enable-dri2 --enable-gl with my brand new intel video drivers(2.6.3)
with UXA on top of libdrm 2.4.5

I have to say that I thougth there would be a boost for all gnome
applications, but I hardly see any difference from cairo (1.8.6)
standard (debian packaging).
I remember passing from standard backends to glitz showed a great
performance boost.

How i could be sure cairo is using drm backend (apart the fact that
libcairo is linked with libdrm)?
Are there any tests I could check to see how fast is cairo with drm backend?
Anyway I think these new works about  cairo backends coul be very primising.

Thanks for your work.
Marco