[RFC] XI2 draft protocol specification (v 0.1)

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Fri Mar 6 03:14:29 PST 2009

Whoops, late reply here.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 04:32:16PM +0100, Simon Thum wrote:
> >  FP1616
> > -        Fixed point decimal in 16.16 format as 32 bit integer. The client is
> > -        required to convert to 16.16 decimal format.
> > +        Fixed point decimal in 16.16 format as 32 bit integer in the form of
> > +        (value * 10e15). The client is required to convert to 16.16 decimal
> > +        format.
> TBH, that one puzzles me even more. In particular, what is decimal as
> opposed to binary? Can you point me to code that does what you describe?
> Or maybe you meant (value * 1<<16)?

yeah, of course. sorry. what I meant was that the value x is sent as x * (1 <<
16). A little test program for random values between 0 and 0xFFFF showed an
average rounding error of 0x000008.

tbh. I am also contemplating to just send IEEE floats/doubles over the wire
and get on with life.

> > -    HIERARCHYCHANGETYPE { CreateMaster, RemoveMaster, ChangeAttachment }
> > +    HIERARCHYCHANGETYPE { CreateMaster, RemoveMaster, SlaveAttached,
> > +                          SlaveDetached }
> >
> >      CHANGEMODE { Float, Attach }
> I think that one has to go then, too.
> Ah, and: CM, RM are imperative, SA/SD are passive and past. Pasto?

thanks, fixed.

Cheers,
  Peter