how glx extension uses the software render

Jerome Glisse glisse at freedesktop.org
Fri Mar 6 03:48:26 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 15:51 -0500, Wang Baisheng wrote:
> Dear Rahaman,
>
> Thanks again!
>
> You mean that if I build X with DRI support, all redering request are all
> dispatched to the X Server regardless of loading the DRI driver success of
> failure ?
>
> And another question, which is I asked before, if the DRI setup failed, how
> the xserver bypassed the rendering request to Mesa to render?  Would you
> please give me some glue at code level ?
>
> Thanks,
> Regards,
> Baisheng

Haven't looked at that code in a while but if i am not wrong if
DRI fails to load X server will load dri_swrast driver which is
a software rendering dri driver which always succeed to load.

So, again if i am not completely wrong, here is the path cmds
takes:

DRI enabled:
-talking directly to the driver whether it's a software or
 hw one

Indirect:
- cmd are send to the X server which handle a GL context on
  behalf of the client, X server redirect this command through
  AIGLX (accelerated indirect GLX) which is either the dri
  swrast (software) driver or an hardware driver.

IIRC the dispatch code is in indirect_dispatch.c

Cheers,
Jerome