how can I know cursor in an editable field?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 12 11:07:44 PDT 2009

marslee_suc wrote:

> I am working on an onscreen keyboard, I want it can call itself when
> end-user click an editable field such as editline or text field when
> focus leave editable field keyboard can hide itself. what should I do,
> I think X can know If user enter an editable field, but I don't how to
> deal with it.

X itself knows nothing about widgets or "fields". These are
constructed by the toolkit (GTK etc).

Also, with "lightweight" toolkits (which, IIRC, includes the latest
version of Qt), X doesn't even have any clues about how a window is
divided up, let alone definite information.

Realistically, you are going to need to handle each toolkit
separately, possibly even modifying the toolkit.