Google / X.Org Summer of Code 2009: Ideas Wanted

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at
Thu Mar 12 23:51:54 PDT 2009

On 23:17 Thu 12 Mar     , Barton C Massey wrote:
> Greetings!
> Tonight I'm submitting X.Org's application to become a
> mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2009.  As
> you may know, X.Org was previously a mentoring organization
> in 2006, 2007 and 2008.  For more information on Summer of
> Code, see .
> What we need from the community is a visible list of Summer
> of Code project ideas and people willing to mentor those
> ideas.  That list is being accumulated at
> , and the
> faster we fill it with really good stuff, the greater our
> chances are of once again being accepted to mentor for
> Summer of Code and the more and better student applicants we
> will have.

Pretty much everything from
is still valid. There's also and

Some new ideas presented by folks on IRC:

- VDPAU on Gallium

- libpciaccess port to HURD

- r600 support on Gallium

- XGrabKeysym(), probably as part of Xi2, so clients don't have to
monitor for keymap changes on hotplug/xmodmap

- (allow >255

- (replacing libxkbfile
with something less crusty)

- merging xkbcomp into the server

- true multi-touch support in X. though that'd require whot to get XI2
done first...

- something to replace XEvIE in the new input world

Donnie Berkholz
X team lead, Gentoo Linux