Cross-compiling just enough to get embedded server for firefox

David Wuertele dave+gmane at wuertele.com
Fri Mar 13 10:03:47 PDT 2009

Howdy,

I'm compiling X for the first time, but I'm jumping into the deep end.  I would
like to cross compile a server that will run on an embedded system and support
enough features for a fully-functional firefox browser.

Taking a look at the x.org sources I'm overwhelmed by the number of libraries.
It appears that some of these are required and many are not.  It also appears
that some of these libraries are interchangeable with others.  For example, if I
don't build libxcb, libX11 will ask me for libxdmcp.  I don't even know if I
need libX11 for what I'm doing.

I'm trying to find some documentation that will help me make sense of all these
sources.  I hope that it isn't necessary to become an expert in the internals of
X and the detailed history of its evolution in order to build a
single-application server.

My ideal would be for a single web page to tell me "compile this and this and
this and then this, and voila you have a minimal system that will support all
the features of firefox."  My second choice would be for a document that
describes what each library provides and what each library depends on.  Another
great resource would be a script or a makefile that builds a server (natively
would be OK but cross-compiled would be a big bonus).

Dave