radeonhd stuff, missing function now?

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 16:01:20 PDT 2009

2009/3/15 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:
> No.  These are the F10 installs latest
>
> rpm -q libdrm
> libdrm-2.4.0-0.21.fc10.i386
>
> However, the installed version lists in ls -l as libdrm.so.2.3.0
> That bears investigation I think,
>
> Humm, and that 2.4.0 marked f10 rpm actually contains 2.3.0 stuffs!
>
> thanks

of course the libdrm is an issue.

> rpm -qa |grep mesa
> mesa-libGL-devel-7.2-0.15.fc10.i386
> mesa-libGLU-devel-7.2-0.15.fc10.i386
> mesa-libOSMesa-devel-7.2-0.15.fc10.i386
> mesa-libOSMesa-7.2-0.15.fc10.i386
> mesa-libGLU-7.2-0.15.fc10.i386
> mesa-libGLw-devel-6.5.1-5.fc9.i386
> mesa-libGL-7.2-0.15.fc10.i386
> mesa-libGLw-6.5.1-5.fc9.i386
> mesa-dri-drivers-7.2-0.15.fc10.i386
>
> I take it those aren't new enough?

use the rpmfusion fedora repository to upgrade to mesa 7.3 packages.
it might also include the latest libdrm and radeonhd releases.

> How about the script I attached?
>
> There is a subdir libdrm in the git drm pull, but my script doesn't do any
> thing with it.  And my autoconf magic doesn't get the *.so anything built.
> But then autoconf is _not_ one of my claims on my resume either.

well, your script is not very good and easy to read, and from what
i've seen it just builds the kernel modules and the radeonhd driver
and it always downloads the full radeonhd and drm repositories.

i've modified the gentoo git.eclass to adapt it to your needs (i've
just took the git_fetch() function and incorporated into the script),
so that it clones or updates the git tree so that you don't update the
repositories every time you run it.
the script just deletes the build source directory everytime you run
the script (yes, the git repo and source directories are now
different). after unpacking the new version the script runs autogen to
configure the script (with workdir/build directory as prefix) then,
builds and installs into the build directory. you have to find the
right prefix for your distro and then uncomment the cp command so that
the script will copy the files in the right directory. for the kernel
modules you'd have to uncomment the lines that put the modules in the
right place according to your fedora distro.
the original work has been released under the gpl v2 version and so it
is to be distributed also the derived attached script in order to be
compliant with it.

so the steps are:
1. install rpmfusion repository
2. install mesa 7.3 from rpmfusion
3. search rpmfusion for the latest libdrm release (for latest radeonhd
git versions you might still need to also build the libdrm from git)
4. run the script attached as is (to see if it builds libdrm,
kernelmodules and xf86-video-radeonhd)
5. identify the right directories in which to install the files and
adjust the script so that it can copy the files in the right place
6. rerun the script and see if it installs the stuff in the right
directories (or manually copy the built files to the proper place).

WARNING: THE SCRIPT COMES WITHOUT ANY TYPE OF WARANTY, SO IF IT BREAKS
SOMETHING ON YOUR SYSTEM I'M NOT TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. IF YOU DON'T
FELL OK USING IT JUST DON'T DO IT.

--
dott. ing. beso