xf86OSMouseInit() not used

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Mar 16 08:34:09 PDT 2009

Using xf86-input-mouse-1.4.0 without any configuration.

 (EE) <default pointer>: No Protocol specified
 (EE) PreInit failed for input device "<default pointer>"
 (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"

How can I get more logging or details for this?

ktrace didn't tell me anything extra.

Now I see the source and looking at mousedrv.4 manpage which says
specifying the protocol option is mandatory. But I don't think that is
documented correctly as Xorg will startup without any config with working
mouse on some systems.

I tried running Xorg -logverbose 199 but that didn't give me extra details
related to this.

I am using NetBSD. I added various logging to the bsd_mouse.c and realized
it wasn't even used. I even renamed functions in there too.

The mouse_drv includes the bsd_mouse.o. I see that at build time and I can
see my extra debugging when looking at the driver library,

Now I realize it is using the same functions from my old xorg-server
1.4.2. If something changed in xorg-server since then, shouldn't
xf86-input-mouse depend on newer xorg-server?

(I am still researching ...)

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \