clarification requested: apparent termination of xrx project due to deletion of lbx from xorg

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Mar 18 03:28:41 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 5:00 PM,  <david.hagood at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:02 PM,  <david.hagood at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 4) javascript code dynamically creates a node (something like this)
>>>     < embed type="x-application/embedded-xapp"
>>>                    params="/usr/bin/xclock" width="100" height="100" />
>>>
>>>    and adds that node to the browser DOM model (location is chosen by
>>> the javascript-implemented window manager)
>>>

>> Then it sounds like you need something more like the "Plugger" plug-in -
>> http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger.html

>  it is!  utterly _cool_.  i'd heard of mozplugger, but hadn't got a
> clue about how... wow, that's scarily sophisticated, it uses m4 for
> the config file pluggerrc (eek).  ok that's a _much_ better starting
> point, which sadly means that this is now kinda off-topic for xorg,
> but that's no excuse for not saying _thank you_.  :)

 ok - thank you for pointing me at mozplugger.  i got to work with it
yesterday.  it turns out that the helper application is a bit scary.

how mozplugger works is by noticing the title of an application (xterm
-T xxxxx) and the helper goes "is there an x-windows app with that
title?  if so, let's shove it into the embedded window"

!!!

in other words, if there isn't an app with that title, or if the app
cannot change its x-windows title, it _will_ run "non-embedded".

additionally, there's the problem of running xterm, in which it is
possible for people to type "xine" or "kaffeine" or anything else and
the command will come up _outside_ of the control of the quotes window
manager quotes (actually, web browser _pretending_ to be a window
manager).

the only scary potential solution to _that_ is to do something like
_really_ turn webkit (one of the technologies i'm using) into a window
manager.

... not ready to tackle that yet :)

l.