Xdm, xlogin and Xresources

martin SILVERBERG martin.silverberg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 11:12:12 PDT 2009

Hello,

I am looking for several days on the Internet for an exhaustive list
of all Xresources classes from xdm and his xlogin widget. I have been
looking all over, and just found examples of alteration of the
original files, but no complete list. I have read the Man pages to.
They specifies that:" Nearly every imaginable parameter can be
controlled  with  a  resource." But the list that follows doesn't give
any clue of how to modify the position of greeting or fail messages,
eventually transparency of xlogin.Login.background, border styles,
prompt frames background, etc. .
I really want to use xdm. I am not running gnome, xfce, kde nor any
other Desktop Environment and therefor, don't want to install any of
their related login managers. I tried SLiM but he is very slow to load
(at least on my computer, about 20 seconds of black screen between end
of startup process and login screen). I tried "enter" to, but he
doesn't reappear after login out of my Openbox session, I have to kill
X then.
I tried to find out by trial and error, but get nothing, so I am still
a bit frustrated not being able to modify more of xlogins look.

After figuring all those things out, I plan to write a full documented
"tutorial", helping wouldn't be "losing time".

Any help or advice would be heartily appreciated.

Thanks and nice WE.

Martin Silverberg