kernel 2.6.27 and git xorg stuff

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri May 1 00:16:00 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 08:38 +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>  I've seen in the intel announcement that they only support
> UXA now.  But, AFAIK, this needs support from a kernel > 2.6.27.  Is
> this correct?

No, the elimination of EXA and XAA was delayed until UXA worked without
any kernel support. Of course, it works better with GEM in the kernel.

> BTW, what's the general policy w.r.t. to older kernels?  I can imagine
> that many people would like to have a more recent X system (for
> example, better 3D support for certain graphics cards) without having
> to update the rest of the system...

The plan (at least as far as the Intel driver goes) is to keep things
working with a reasonable mix of code. Requiring matching user and
kernel code just isn't feasible for many people.

keith.packard at intel.com