Detecting the used keyboard driver

Mon May 4 11:04:48 PDT 2009

Gregory Smirnov wrote:
> Hello, I use program that depends on X keycodes as well and have the
> same problem.

Your program has always been broken then - X keycodes are different
on different platforms and servers, and as kbd/evdev show, sometimes
even different drivers on the same server/platform.   It has been
well documented for 20+ years that the only valid meaning of an X keycode
is to lookup a keysym in the current table and that applications should all
use keysyms, not keycodes.

> Evdev is suceeder of xkb, why *some* keycodes has just changed without
> an option to check the system for compatibility?

evdev does not suceed or replace XKB - they're two different levels of
the stack.  evdev replaces xf86-input-kbd on Linux systems - both of
those drivers report up to the core Xorg server which uses XKB.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com