server GLX version: GLX 1.3, GLX 1.4

Martin Walch walch.martin at web.de
Sat May 9 05:56:20 PDT 2009

Hello list,

when trying to run some Java code with j3d, I got the error message that glx
1.3 is needed, but only glx 1.2 is available. As I do not know much about glx,
I made some online searches and read that the supported GLX version is shown
by glxinfo and is the minimum of "client glx version string" and "server glx
version string". glxinfo says on my system

…
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
…
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
…
GLX version: 1.2
…

(X.Org 7.4 with xf86-video-intel 2.7.0, libX11 1.1.5 (no xcb) and Mesa 7.4.1)

I tried looking into the code of Mesa and X.Org, to find out where the server
version string comes from, but I do not know enough about X11 and GLX. Can you
tell me what the server glx version depends on (in general)?

Thank you in advance.
Martin Walch