X stops receiving mouse clicks

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue May 12 06:37:42 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:11:24AM +0200, walter harms wrote:
> Peter Hutterer schrieb:
> > no, actually. this is how input devices work. the physical devices are
> > abstracted away through the virtual core pointer. all events go through this
> > core pointer device, and if an application grabs it then events are no
> > longer sent to anyone else. same with the keyboard.
> > hence if you have a rogue grab, all devices seem to stop working.
>
> but only mouse events are missing, the keyboard seems to work fine
> At least i would notice very fast if someone is eating my letters.
>
> I think it is unlikely that a programm would only grap a mouse but
> not the keyboard.

To the extent of my understanding it's the usual thing in X land:
applications (or, rather, toolkits) implement things like popup menus
and drag-and-drop by grabbing only the mouse, while other applications
(e.g. SSH/GPG password dialogs) grab only the keyboard.

Marius Gedminas
--
No sane person should use frame buffers if they have the choice.
        -- Linus Torvalds on lkml