ATI +Gnome + CompizFusion = X crash

Felipe Lotas Asta slurpamela at hotmail.com
Sat May 16 05:32:05 PDT 2009

Hi there.

        I've been looking for some weeks for a solution for this, and have asked
        in two forums but got no solution.

        I have:
        ArchLinux
        Gnome 2.26.1
        xorg-server 1.6.1-1
        xorg-server-utils 7.4-6
        compiz-fusion-plugins-main 0.8.2-1
        compiz-fusion-plugins-extra 0.8.2-1
        ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
        xf86-video-ati 6.12.2-2

        The problem is that Compiz is very unstable. Some weeks ago it was
        working smoothly. Then came some Xorg, xf86-video-ati and Compiz updates
        all of a sudden and compiz started to crash very frequently, logging me
        out to GDM. Then came some more updates and thing has become better but
        still is crashing. Facts:

        1. Starting Gnome session with Compiz-fusion but without Fusion-icon
        works for a while. Then, suddenly, X crashes and I get back to GDM.
        2. If I start Gnome with Metacity everything works nice, but as soon as
        I run compiz-fusion with fusion-icon it logs me out.
        3. No error messages on Xorg.log.
        4. I tried to run Fusion-icon from terminal redirecting the output to a
        file to see if there is some error message but got no luck... no message
        at all.
        5. I don't know where to look at for the error, neither know how to know
        if it's a bug and, in that case, if that's related to gnome, compiz,
        xorg, xf86-video-ati or what... But in the compiz-fusion forum I was
        told that probably is a Xorg bug.
        6. If I remove the "EXA" acceleration method or change it for "XAA" then
        X doesn't crash but i cannot play videos and performance is worse.

        Any information needed just ask, please. Thanks for everything...

        My post in the Archlinux forum:

        My post in the compiz-fusion forum:
        http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?p=73199#post73199

                                                                                                                                            PABLO.