It's useful to have a working X server if a client holds a grab when it triggers a debugger breakpoint

David Campbell david at pastornet.net.au
Mon May 25 18:56:58 PDT 2009

Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 10:00 +1000, David Campbell wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Many/most GUI toolkits implement pop up menus using grabs.  This can
>> cause major desktop lockups when debugging GUI applications, because
>> hitting breakpoints in pop up menu callback code will occur while a grab
>> is active.
>>
>> Reaching a breakpoint while a grab is active indefinitely locks up the X
>> server, leaving a standalone desktop user the only option but to power
>> down and suffer potential data loss.
>>

> Or kill the debugging process by switching to a VT or remotely
Hi Owen,

Thanks for your reply.

By "switching to a VT", did you mean pressing CTRL-ALT-<number> to
switch to a virtual terminal?

That doesn't work for me, due to the grab.  Pressing those keystrokes is
unresponsive, thus for a standalone system in a location where there are
no other computers, it still appears that the only option in the
situation of hitting a breakpoint during a grab, is to force a power
down and reboot.

Do you know of any other options?

Thanks,
-- Dave